Serving the United States through the armed forces is a truly remarkable and generous sacrifice. All veterans deserve to be honored for their service, even after death. One way our country shows thanks to its veterans is through funeral services. Many funeral homes in Hayward, CA offer special veteran’s services.
The United States has laws that provide eligible veterans with military funeral services honors as no cost if the family requests. Some of these honors include:
- Flag Folding and Presentation: All eligible veterans will have at least 2 Armed Forces members serving as an honor guard during the funeral service. At least one of these guards will be from the deceased’s service branch, and this guard will present a traditionally folded American flag to the next of kin or designated person.
- “Taps”- “Taps” is a bugle song long associated with military and patriotic funerals. Though live bugle performances are rarely seen these days, military funeral honors require that a high-quality recording of the song be played at any eligible funeral services if no live bugle is available.
Another veteran’s funeral service funeral homes offer is a flag burial. A flag is provided at no cost to the family to drape the casket or accompany the urn of the deceased. The flag will be folded and presented to eligible family members including the next of kin or requested friends. Family members may donate their flags to national cemeteries with Avenue of Flags so the flag can be flown on patriotic holidays to honor the deceased.
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) can also furnish a headstone at no cost. These veteran’s headstones are available for any veteran regardless of date of death. The headstones are available in bronze, marble and granite in various styles to match existing headstones in the place of burial. This same service is available for cremated remains in the form of niche markers for columbariums. While the headstone itself is free of charge, the family is in charge of all installation fees.
Military funeral service honors are given to members of the United States Armed Forces that consist of the Marines, Army, National Guard, Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard. The individual must also meet one or more the following requirements:
- Died in active duty or Selective Reserve
- Completed at least one term of enlistment or initial obligated service in the Selective Reserve, and were not dishonorably discharged
- Served on active duty, or in the Selected Reserve, and were not dishonorably discharged
If you have more questions about veteran’s funeral services, or about Hayward, CA funeral homes, you can contact Deer Creek Funeral Service. Please pay us a visit at 20630 Redwood Rd Castro Valley, CA 94546, or give us a call at (510) 317-7890 to learn more about what funeral and veteran’s services we offer to help you and your loved ones in your time of loss.