There are tons of funeral homes in San Leandro, CA. How are you supposed to know which one to use, either for your future passing or for the recent loss of a loved one? This choice may seem especially difficult because most funeral homes seem to be very similar in services and costs at first glance. However, choosing a funeral home is very personal, as you need to make sure the one you choose matched with your preferences and needs.
When looking for a funeral home, you need to take the following into consideration:
- Location – Sometimes this doesn’t mean closest to your home, as oftentimes funerals take place in different towns where the deceased wants to be buried, or where other family members live.
- Services Offered – Make sure your funeral home offers the services you want. Such services include burial options like cremation, traditional burial, or green burial. They also include different technology like online obituaries, digital guest books or live streaming.
- Service Prices – You’d be surprised how much funeral home prices vary. Be sure to shop around and get quotes from different homes to make sure you’re getting the best prices for services.
- Product Prices – Caskets, urns and other funeral accessories and products can get pricey. Compare funeral home’s product prices as well.
- Veteran Services – If you or your loved one served, that should be recognized in a special way. Check that funeral homes offer veteran services if applicable.
- Cultural and Religious Needs – Make sure the funeral home you choose is able to provide you with your cultural and/or religious funeral needs.
- Reviews – Research other customer’s experiences with funeral homes to gauge efficacy, pricing, compassion and more.
Its never fun to think about and plan for death, but its better to start looking for a funeral home now before you need one. This way, you wont be scrambling to find one if you lose a loved one, or your family won’t be stressed out looking for one for your funeral after you pass. You don’t want to be stuck with the easiest or most accessible funeral home when the time comes because you don’t have the time or money to find a better one.
Start gathering information on funeral homes in your area to get a head start on choosing one. When researching, look for things like:
- Price Comparisons – Every funeral home is required, by law, to have and make accessible a general list of prices for their offered products and services.
- Note Services Fees – What is and what is not included in services fees varies greatly from funeral home to funeral home.
- Add Funeral Costs to Insurance – Add funeral insurance to your current life insurance policy.